Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Portland, Council Crest Park -- And the Po Po

One of my favorite rides is to leave my house and head up to the highest point in Portland, Council Crest Park. It is a burner. 1000 climb in only a few miles. Portland, a great town for bikes, has some over zealous cops. After crossing the river, I was pulled over my one of Portland’s finest, a cop on a motorcycle. It seem that I had gone through a yellow light and a red light over the last mile. Ok, so I am a cautious driver. I never run red lights but on a bike, I figure it is my own business whether I get hit by a car or not. I mean, a 14 year old kid can ride a bike with out a license. How can the police give me a moving violation on my bike? So I get $500 worth of fines or ( cue the music ) a class with Trauma Nurses Talk Tough – Share the Road. Really, I agree that bikers should not blow through stop lights but shouldn’t these guys be chasing the guys that blow through stop signs at 50mph around my house? Moral? If you are in the upscale part of Portland, watch out for the po po.
Anyway, here is the ride:
Longitude (miles):15.71
Elevation (feet):Min:-10.59 Max:1,033.36
Accumulated Height (feet):
Up:1,686.35 Down:1,778.22