Monday, April 23, 2007

Larch Mountain Ride

I got a chance to hammer my perennial favorite spring ride, Larch Mountain. If you start at Lewis and Clark state park, the round trip is normally around 42 miles with some huge elevation gain. When I went up, there was still snow and the gate was closed to traffic. I decided to turn around at the gate since the road was covered in gravel and debris. No sense in asking for road rash. Even with the shortened route, this is a great challenging route that you can do in a morning if you drive from Portland. The stands of trees towards the top are amazing. They are tall enough to block out the satellites from my GPS hence the broken route on the map.

Distance Round Trip (miles): 36.8
Elevation (feet): Min:30.41 Max:2,807.45
Accumulated Height (feet):
Up:2,906.82 Down:3,123.36
Ends at start point (loop): Yes